Hello! I’m Jackie Van Nice. Thanks for visiting my site.
What I Do:
What I Believe:
That sharing what we can to help each other succeed is the key to a happier life and a better world.
What I’m Excited About:
I can’t wait to see the future of learning. I think we’re on the brink of better, faster, lighter, and more integrated experiences and like what I see so far.
3 of the Most Challenging Things I’ve Ever Done
- Going all-in to invest in and learn e-learning from the ground up in the depths of the recession – on my own, without a client in sight, and not knowing if I’d ever get one. Incredibly, a great one found me in short order.
- Spending a year teaching in post-Soviet Hungary. I’d save up my forints to take the 12-hour round trip across the border to Vienna where I’d do a breathtaking sprint to find fresh vegetables, teaching materials, and people who would speak to me before racing to catch the return train. The upside was my mail was only set on fire once, and the recuperative trip to Greece was heaven.
- Working as a live-in cook for a couple on Seattle’s Lake Washington where alcohol, dementia, an incontinent poodle, and fear collided. But the blackberry picking was fabulous.
More About My Career
- I’ve been a self-employed instructional designer for more than 13 years, laser-focused on e-learning for the last 7.
- I get giddy when clients send me messages like “You’re the best in the business!” “We couldn’t be happier!” and “Your team did an amazing job!” (Am I trying to impress you? Of course!!)
- Teaching in Vienna, Austria was one of my favorite gigs. The school’s director observed me teaching in London and recruited me on the spot.
- Throughout my career I’ve worked with scads of nonprofits from tiny public radio stations on the West Coast to the Zuni tribe in New Mexico, the NAACP in DC, global NGOs, the American Red Cross, social services, libraries, parishes, and so many more – including a charming little snow-covered charter school up in Land O’ Lakes Wisconsin. A good nonprofit always wins my heart.
- I never wanted to leave Arcata, California where Humboldt State University was kind enough to bestow degrees in Business and German on me, got my MA in German from the University of Oregon (they also taught me to teach), and savored a year of grad school at the Universität Konstanz in Germany (best year ever!)
The Rest of the Story
- I was born in San Diego, California and currently live near Hilton Head Island in the Lowcountry of South Carolina where I happily commune with alligators, marsh birds, and black fox squirrels.
- My biggest fans are Dewey and Gingerbread.
- My biggest high is still being mistaken for a native speaker of German.
If you’d like to be the first to get my latest posts with e-learning design ideas and demos, Storyline tips, and free goodies – be sure and use the Subscribe form to subscribe to my blog. You can also connect with me on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest – or just drop me a line!
(Below is a taste of the off-topic content that awaits if you follow on Instagram.)